“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”
~T. S. Eliot
Know what’s fun? Taking a 330 page novel and encapsulating it in two paragraphs that not only paint a picture of the main storylines, but also entice readers to crave more information. I’m actually being serious about this. I just might be the only writer who enjoys drafting a query letter. The synopsis, on the other hand … let’s just say I almost tossed my computer out the window on several occasions. Pretty sure it was easier to write the actual book. I finished a draft on Friday and decided to give myself a break over the weekend before editing it down by a couple pages this week. Here’s hoping the laptop doesn’t go sailing through any glass. Ha.
In between my summarizing, I’ve been doing a lot of blog reading, and something Kelsey posted really struck a chord. I love the idea of “30 before 30″ — basically, a list of goals/adventures/hopes for the coming year. I’ll turn thirty on September 9th (YIKES!) and am going to try my best to accomplish these things before then. Wish me luck!
1. Sign with a literary agent for Mine to Love.
2. Write my fifth novel.
3. Travel to Nantucket and visit some of the places that proved so inspiring for my MC Sofie.
4. Try two new restaurants.
5. Volunteer at and/or donate money to an animal shelter.
6. Take a long walk at least four days per week (weather permitting).
7. Read two books outside of my “normal” genre.
8. Go to Washington D.C. for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival.
9. Find a quiet spot by a pond where I can sit with my writing journal and fill its pages with story ideas.
10. Meet a General Hospital star whom I haven’t yet seen in person.
11. Eat five new foods.
12. Score a 100+ point word in Scrabble.
13. See another Broadway musical.
14. Get my photo albums up-to-date.
15. Win a game of miniature golf (go on and laugh, but this is a seemingly impossible task for me).
16. Attend a book signing.
17. Visit NYC again.
18. Travel to a state where I’ve never been before.
19. Send five “just because” notes to people.
20. Re-read two favorite books.
21. Bake a cake.
22. Volunteer at a senior center in some capacity.
23. Watch the complete series of another show that Lucille Ball starred in … gotta love Lucy!
24. Walk along the beach during a sunrise.
25. Walk outside during a snowstorm.
26. Organize and hang up all the wall hangings and plaques I’ve been collecting for years.
27. Attend a concert.
28. Write a guest post for another blog.
29. Take a trip to the mountains.
30. Learn to play a new board game.
Your turn: what are three things you hope to accomplish before your next birthday?